realm's word

Undistorted Views (through rose-tinted lenses)

W. Ellington Felton - Distraction City


It seems like I've an increasingly 'old man' outlook on the world and at the tender age of 25, It's somewhat worrying.

When it comes to Hip Hop however, I feel that my age puts me in a decent position to have the odd moan, given that myself - Realm - and she -Hip Hop - are of similar (ish) ages. Whether you think that's justification or not, quite frankly is immaterial, those who know me will testify to the fact that I believe I'm always right.

There has been little to make me feel as if Hip Hop has much much to offer me any more. Like any fan, I've watched it fall into a state of seeming perpetual disrepair pretty much since it's initial conception - and I'm not naive enough to misunderstand why, everyone needs to eat and so the money takes over, that's the world we live in.
However there is the odd occasion that makes me think otherwise.
It seems that there are those artists who thankfully keep the light shining bright and with the global/international creative minds adding to the 'new wave' Hip Hop, there does seem to be some hope left. I personally think that the likes of Dj Mitsu The Beats are amongst those kindred spirits who recognise how Hip Hop should sound as we continue into this new millennium.
Readers will know that I'm a Neo Soul kinda guy, which will also tell you that Hip Hop for me needs to have some sort of credibility either in it's lyrical content, instrumental or both (preferably).

Who better to personify my point than Wes Ellington Felton... son of infamous Jazz pianist Hilton Felton (may he RIP, 13/02/2007), Wes has the pedigree and comes from the Washington DC movement who collectivey are firmly fixed on the Neo Soul circuit with the likes of Raheem Devaghn and Sy Smith making waves. The album has spacey beats, meaningful lyrics and guest appearances from some of my current individual artists of the moment - Bilal Salaam, Chronkite (Raheem Devaughn) and Yahzarah (Purple St James).

To understand my sentiment about the disrepair of Hip Hop, listen to 'Breathe A Bit'.

If you like this album, be sure to check out the Crossrhodes albums - the group to which Wes belongs.

This isn't an album review, judge it for yourself... I've put a link to a place where you can download a version of Mr Felton's fantastic 'Distraction City'. Once you've got a taste, please DELETE IT and BUY the album - support good Hip Hop.


0 comments:

Post a Comment