realm's word

Undistorted Views (through rose-tinted lenses)

Bee Wax and Cow Juice


I’ll be honest, I’ve been listening to her music for years and I still struggle to pronounce her name – even with my South African colleagues help, I still can’t say it in the correct way. However I’m sure Goapele wouldn’t be offended, watch this video and you’ll see and start to assume as I do, that her demeanour is as pure as her voice.

I recently decided to reintroduce her debut album ‘Even Closer’ into my regular play list after remembering how good it was and how much I love the track ‘Closer’ which I’m still able to play on loop without feeling any need to change tracks.

Interestingly, if the tabloids are anything to go by, strangled-cat-voiced pop singer Rihanna’s been dating Drake... the pre-pubescent, Ginuwine look-a-like Canadian kid who in my opinion is taking his clear talent in Rap delivery and ability to write good lyrics in the wrong career direction, opting for the fame route and seemingly headed for the ‘dark side’... has in fact NOT butchered Closer and made a pretty nice version on his now year old mix ‘tape’ ‘Comeback Season’.


Perhaps Goapele’s affiliation from the get-go of her career with Oakland’s Hiero collective, who I very much like, is another reason why I enjoy her music.

She, in my opinion, is Sade in her vibe but with an added twist of ‘beat’ appreciation.
Well the good news is that she's making a sweet, calcium filled comeback with her forthcoming album 'Milk and Honey'... and from the looks of things, it's going to be a good one...

Milk and Honey - Goapele from goapele on Vimeo.




0 comments:

Post a Comment