realm's word

Undistorted Views (through rose-tinted lenses)

Imperial Vipers 'Broken' Reviewed


Those who know me will know I love all forms of music, no matter the genre. So when I was approached to review the new Imperial Vipers album, I jumped at the chance.

I place ‘Broken’ into my computer CD drive and my brand less, generic media playing program as developed by a fruit company loads the track names, times and other bits of information and my eyes are drawn to the seemingly short song times. All but one are below four minutes in duration, OK – Sennheiser HD25’s at the ready, volume up, just click play.

The anthemic ‘Sickness’ starts things off and I’m glad to hear whimsical FX and a bass Guitar solo to warm the ears up for the heavyweight cymbal laden drum pattern. There’s a feel of retro Rock drama here and the 80’s style synth organs hit us at the two-minute odd bridge, neatly building the track into crescendo. Meatloaf would be proud and I mean that in the best possible way.

I check my forearms where the hairs are on-end, I decide that this shall become my new measure of a decent rock album. Criteria passed with flying colours, therefore I’ll continue – I’m in this for the long haul.

‘I’ll Guess’ has a purposeful feel right from the get go. Distant guitar riffs add layered elements and some pretty hard panning which really splits you’re concentration providing subconscious interest, this track is instantly starting to... finish, it seems. At two minutes and thirty-five seconds, I’m left wanting, although some would argue that short is sweet...and I agree, being one of diminutive vertical stature myself.

An atmospheric, eerie sound is cut through by a shrill guitar drone and the drums start. ‘Broken’. Label should read: “WARNING, NOT SUITABLE FOR PEOPLE WITH FRAGILE NECK CONDITIONS, THIS WILL MAKE YOUR HEAD BANG”. This is the Imperial Vipers’ epic, perhaps that’s why they gave it over five whole minutes of air time? Back on point, these guys have managed to pack so much into this song from up-tempo chorus that hits hard to the melodic end which calms things down nicely.
Listen to Broken here:

Note to self: check their site for tour dates, I need to hear this Live.

As I continue through the rest of the album, I notice how that aside from the mass-appeal feel to ‘Victim’, the Imperial Vipers sound is full of confidence and bravado, the kind that I’d associate with the sort of band who’ve done the rounds in such places as Camden and Hoxton.

‘Self Medication’ is clever bit of stuff when all broken down, said and done. The use of vocal filtering at poignant lyrical milestones followed by the removal of drum hits to give the illusion of a temporary reduced tempo allows the point to drive home. Some may argue that the glorification of self medication isn’t a good move, but this is Rock’n’Roll, not an episode of Songs of Praise. However for good measure and perhaps in an attempt to please a diverse clientele, Jesus does get a mention in the lyrics.

‘This is the Way’ reminds me of the Mad Caddies. Fortunately, I’m a fan of the ‘Caddies. Clearly there is a vast difference between the two, but whilst this track has serious lyrical content and a message within, the way in which the track evolves and maintains a whimsical feel throughout keeps this one from overwhelming with any seriousness.

Essentially hailing from Luton - a place that’s main claim to fame is its convenient accessibility to the M1 motorway – somehow ‘Another Suicide’ and ‘Into Forever’ manages to capture that sound most commonly associated with East London Indie scene and the lead guitar solo in the latter adds that extra bit of spice.

The last three tracks are reminiscent of an older form of Punk based Rock which is further demonstration that the Imperial Vipers are respectful to the original art form and have the ability to do the ‘old stuff well’. They’re not one trick ponies but they’d do well to give us a few minutes more music.

At risk of sounding like my Great Aunt Mildred after drinking a lukewarm cup of milky would be tea (the elderly seem to insist on their teabags merely flirting with the hot water, after all – teabags can be re-used if they’ve not yet fully seen the depths of a teacup)...I thoroughly enjoyed that!
Realms Word would like to thank Katy Scott at Full Portion Media for the following:
-the opportunity to do the review
-opening my eyes to this great new band
-the free music!
Feel free to click and contact Katy... ( www.fullportionmedia.com )

0 comments:

Post a Comment