realm's word

Undistorted Views (through rose-tinted lenses)

Kero One and Jill Scott


I know that this is a somewhat simply post, but I'm too busy to be playing today.

Simply put, whilst working today, I've been listening to a few albums, end to end. This is something that I seldom do, as there are few albums which allow for continual playback without interferences of skipping or leaving out a couple of tracks.

I’m gratefully reminded today of two facts.

The first being the Jill Scott, whilst a talented and consistently good musician, will likely never repeat her 2000 release ‘Who Is Jill Scott?’. IT is flawless, Jazzy, Soulful and full of attitude. Yes she’s done plenty of good work since, but this album was recorded on another planet. Listening to ‘A Long Walk’ for the millionth time since I first laid ears on it (?!) I’m reminded of the sheer amount of work that went into recording the ever changing layers of vocals – every time you listen, you notice a different vocal. Genius, pure and simple.

The second fact was that Hip Hop today should model itself around Kero One’s musical blueprint. Today I pressed play on ‘Windmills of the Soul’ and when that was done, straight onto 2009 release ‘Early Believers’. I don’t tire of his music and there’s simple nothing to dislike.
Granted, there will be people who disagree, but those are the same people who are either listening to Lil Wayne or perhaps Asher Roth, thinking they know and understand what’s actually important the Hip Hop world.
You need to have a flow, you need to have lyrical content, you must move in credible circles, you must think of musical creativity and purity ahead of what will make sub woofers pound... do you follow me?
Kero One is to me, a hope, a glimmer of real light in an otherwise dull musical genre... Hip Hop has been fighting for the full 12 rounds and is in a daze, Kero One should be considered as the smelling salts that wakes the World up and allows Hip Hop to fight another day.
Pressed and released his own first single and continues to release music independently, I’m not doing freebie’s on this post, support good music.

Kero One - Welcome to the Bay (Official Music Video) from plug label on Vimeo.

0 comments:

Post a Comment