realm's word

Undistorted Views (through rose-tinted lenses)


Continuing what's turned into an extended entry to my Blogging career where much of my posting is aimed at educating any readers on the ''what's'' and ''why's'' of my Musical world, today I thought I'd discuss (lecture/rant) the state of, or in other words 'evolution' of certain genre's.

It's odd really, I'm fully aware that I'm not alone in my taste in music. Thankfully, there is a wide enough appreciative audience to warrant the continuation of the various niche genre's. That said, I seem to have these 'good.vs.evil' Jiminy Cricket conscience's on each shoulder - the left side tell me that I should be spreading the word and telling the masses about my newly discovered artists and become patron to that which I love. On the right side is the evil counterpart - born in the early days of when I first began DJing, playing UK 2-step Garage. In those days, there was no mass MP3 availability. Records were on Vinyl and in limited, test-press supply. The ability to get a track first, physically cover the records' label and have listeners ask you 'what song is this?' was the greatest feeling on earth. It was MY music, I had it FIRST and when the song got Pirate Radio airplay and subsequently got signed my a major label and released en mass, the most annoying thing was when people would ask 'have you heard that new song?'... ''YES I'VE HEARD IT, I HAD IN ON 'WHITE LABEL' TWO YEARS AGO'' was the reply, lest anyone think I was not at the forefront. My point being, this early need to be ahead of the game has become my 'evil' conscience, making me reluctant to bring anyone fully into 'my' musical world.
Perhaps I've grown up? Perhaps I've grown tired of people saying: 'I like this song you're playing, what is it..' ? Perhaps I feel guilty about consuming such great music from some hard-working and often struggling musicians, without spreading the word? Perhaps I enjoy having my own world of music? Perhaps I enjoy the strange feeling of supremacy that I know music that others have never heard of?
What ever the reason, similar to when (THOSE ANNOYING) people who keep the protective cover on their mobile phone screens, months after they first started using it, I vow to share 'my' music, all (some!!!!!) of it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment