realm's word

Undistorted Views (through rose-tinted lenses)

Also Known As / AKA

It always amazes me how we 'musical types' tend to create an alter ego-esq name, or 'stage name'.
I'm a victim of the same strangeness, I came up with the name Realm because, well...because - there is a reason but there doesn't seem a need to me to divulge it right now!

Perhaps some do it for privacy, others want to forget their given name, others just like the idea of being able to name themselves and create a new persona. Then there are those who have their name because that's what others have called them for years and have since conceded, referring to themselves forevermore as whatever that name may be.

I don't however appreciate the constant requirement to add further pseudonym's to already far fetched nick names. Take Puff Daddy aka P.Diddy aka Diddy aka Sean Coombes aka Sean John aka Puffy aka Puff...... I mean COME ON, choose a stage name and stick with it. And I know, I know, Puff Daddy isn't fully at fault here - it's in part down to his absent minded 'crew' who are so useless that they struggle to say his full name either correctly or perhaps due to the multi-syllabic structuring. Everyone who is fluent in English is aware that the title/name 'daddy' uses an 'a' as it's vowel. So how did the word evolve to Diddy, and why? So clearly one of Puff Daddy's friends is a moron (I personally assume that it's Black Rob, he's particularly backwards - whoa!).

Clearly there are exceptions to this 'anti multiple stage name' cult that I'm thinking of starting.
Two of these exceptions come in the shape of MF Doom and Kool Keith. You know why they're allowed to have so many? The answer is two-fold.

1) Both are ever so slightly mentally disturbed

2) Both completely alter their styles depending upon which 'character' they're performing as.

OK, so laying into Puff Daddy seems harsh, but I'm merely trying to make a point.
I'm not saying that artists should not have a stage name, some us us don't have names which easily lend to stages and the like.

With all of this in mind, let's all laugh at the various real names that so many artists cover up....

The real names of many famous singers of this generation

0 comments:

Post a Comment