realm's word

Undistorted Views (through rose-tinted lenses)

De La...20 Years On


When I was five years old, De La Soul started making hits. They’re still touring and still recording. I remember seeing them live and was impressed by their ability to get the crowd going, their understanding of one another and the sheer skill involved when they would rotate the DJ!

As a 20 year anniversary, Mike Boogie & Terry Urban have put together a tribute album.

A more recent track by De La is ‘Baby Phat’ and I’ve always listened, enjoying the beat, the way the rap flows with the stop-start beat and the humorous lyrics. Their music is never too serious, always tuneful and true to their original form. They’ve influenced Hip Hop in a way which few else can claim and it seems they will carry on forever.

Emcee ‘Skillz’ has been enlisted along with one of my ‘ones to watch’ for 2009, ‘Colin Munroe’ to give their own rendition of Baby Phat.

I’m not breaking any news, the good folks at illRoots already leaked this, but I cant get enough of this track. It’s been reworked extremely well and is more cover-version than remix.

Download, listen and enjoy.

0 comments:

Post a Comment